Re: linking to exe files for download

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:58:12 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mike:

Place your file in the same directory as your web pages and keep your link
away from CGI scripts if possible. I make mine simple like the following:

By using the full URL, (http:// etc.), you are forcing your browser to go
through all the bother of looking up the address, ringing the doorbell and
such. I know there are those who claim the browser has to do all this anyway
with every "call" but in the practical world, there does seem to be a
difference.

One other area to worry over would be a file so large that it took forever
to load and thus cause your viewer to give up and go elsewhere. (This should
have no effect on CGI timeout errors however unless you have created a
situation that requires a CGI script to go fetch the file somewhere before
the browser can have it's way with it.)

Note: I offer at least some of the above confused and rambling verbiage--and
the controversy it may generate--in the vain but humorous hope it may take
our minds off the equally confused and hopefully temporary political
confusion of the US Presidential Race.

Compelled to share that I put this on my magazine site this morning.

"Don't laugh world, we're voting as fast as we can."

Best wishes to all ...
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net