Re: ASCII or BINARY ??

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:16:47 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Rule of the thumb for ASCII/BINARY:

If it opens in Notepad (or similar plain text editor) : ASCII
If it doesn't : BINARY

Take a look at C|Net's Glossary [1] for more information. There is a
comparision available at University of Florida's Networked Writing
Environment's Help pages [2] about when and why to use either. I
suggest you go through some sites about FTP [3] as well.

[1] http://www.cnet.com/Resources/Info/Glossary/Terms/binarymode.html
[2] http://web.nwe.ufl.edu/writing/help/remote/ftp/binary_ascii.html
[3] http://www.google.com/search?q=FTP+Tutorial

HTH