Re: How to include HTML code from an external file

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:03:01 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> Quick answers. If you can use SSI use SSI. Its a more reliable system -
> everything is done on the server before it reaches the browser. If you
> can't use SSI, then use an external JavaScript file with a
document.write().

I agree - the less reliance on the browser having this and that, the better.
A disadvantage with SSI is that files need a different extension for them to
run (typically .shtml or .shtm, though it also works in .asp and .php
files).   Bit of a problem if trying to add includes to a site that has good
search engine rankings with its .html or .htm pages....

On a FrontPage enabled site though, you can use the "include" webbot and
keep your .htm or .html extensions.  I don't like everything that Frontpage
does, but this is a neat feature and it's helped me a great deal with one of
my clients' sites (hundreds of pages).

--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
CIW Associate, IWA Member