Re: BACKGROUND CONSTRUCTION

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:37:54 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dick:

To make a background image,
[Example] <body background="clouds.jpg">
you can either:

STEAL IT

Go to a site having a background you like and right-click on the background.
Then choose "Save Background As" and save it to the same location as your
other graphics.

As I use tables, I make it easy on my sites. For a "cloud-like" image, go
to:
www.newsredding.com/ and be my guest. There is background all around the
center table.

For better looking clouds, go to:
http://www.psln.com/sunset/ and do the same.

Most other backgrounds are just that easy. But when stealing, just be sure
and leave your street address to make it easy for those bringing suit.
(Incidentally, both of mine mentioned above are in the public domain)

USE AN EXISTING IMAGE

Take any image you have--a small one so it will load fast--and it will
repeat until it fills your page. You may even use animated GIF's. Microsoft
Office, Canvas, Picture Publisher and many others come with "hundreds" of
background images. There are dozens of web sites that also offer free
backgrounds.

Again you call it with a tag something like this:

PATTERNS

To make a pattern type so the repeating is not so obvious, is a little more
on the tricky side. Basically, you create a four part image that mirrors
itself both horizontally and vertically. This is a snap in a program like
Canvas that automatically allows the joining of bitmaps. In other programs
you may have to do some math and create a blank bitmap. Then insert the four
smaller images described above to form the finished image.

Unless the image is a "photo", it is much easier to do the originals as
"vector art" because they are so much easier to manipulate. Then you would
save the final as a GIF or JPG.

Of course, I have mentioned only a tiny few of the hundreds of
possibilities. To get into more detail we would need samples and/or a more
comprehensive description of your ideas.

Best Wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net