Re: Re: Mac system fonts?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:08:28 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim Tom Polk:

Boy�can you ever ruin a guy�s Friday.
However, as a result, I�ve learned some things about Netscape
that we had overlooked and I feel I should share them.

After reading your comments about the style sheets in my web
page, my first reaction was indignation at the very hint of less
than perfection on my part. But�As I had went through that
subject with my ex-wife some years ago, I soon calmed down and
started double-checking my CSS work.

I managed to locate a friend with a late version, (4.7) Netscape
that also had web access. (The laptop in our office is out on a
trip and my machine only has Netscape-2.)

We set up a test web page and played with CSS files, both
imported and embedded. We compared our work, (and opinions), with
the tutorial found at:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/15/index0a.html?tw=stylesh
eets
The page was viewed in both Netscape and IE-4. We tried several
different scenarios and this is a brief summary of our tiny bit
of research.

Oh yes�FrontPage did not put the LINK REV tag in the BODY
section. I did that as I had read somewhere that .css files could
be called from anywhere.

I now tend to agree with you that although the files seem to work
just fine, some versions of Netscape are spotty in the support of
a LINK REV tag in the BODY of a web page. I say spotty� because
this one Netscape browser did actually load the CSS file in two
out of four tries.

And just as you suggested, IE-4 had no problem and loaded all of
the different external CSS files, no matter where we placed them.
(Using the LINK REV tag.) So, we will be moving our LINK REV to
the HEAD sections of all our web pages as we have occasion to
work on them. (No super urgency as NN viewers still see all the
CSS called fonts with the browser default.)

As there are reams of articles on the subject elsewhere I won�t
go into all the details of �cascading rules� other than to agree
that to be sure that BOTH Netscape and IE browsers read your CSS
correctly, �imported� CSS files at least, should be in the HEAD
section. (Embedded CSS should be there too if you want them to
affect the whole page.)

And�though the specifications may say different, it appears that
both NN and IE will obey an HTML <FONT FAMILY= > tag over a CSS
style. We had been doing this and it does appear to work just
fine in a practical sense.

However�Nowhere did we find any reference to the need to put a
font in quotation marks within a CSS file, nor did it seem to
make any difference in either browser, so I�ll have to
respectfully disagree on that one.

Again my thanks for alerting me to my boo-boo and I hope this is
of some help to the others working with Netscape compatibility
with CSS.

Best wishes:
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>No, the link to the style sheet has seemingly been places by
Front Page
>3.0 in the BODY of the page instead of the HEAD of the document.
>Actually looks like Front Page placed it in the first paragraph
of the
>document!
>
>MSIE ''forgives'' this mistaken placement of the LINK REV tag,
but NN
>does not.
>
>The style sheet also needs some work as well. It is better
(according to
>the specs) for names of fonts to be surrounded by commas
although the
>generic name (serif, sans-serif) do not need to be surreounded
by
>quotations.. For instance, there is:
>
> BODY

>          font-family: Comic Sans MS, Arial;          color:
#000000;

http://camalott.com/~jtpolk/
> ''You might as well fall flat on your face as
>   lean over too far backwards.''      --James Thurber--
>   "The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three
>          elements: energy, matter and enlightened
self-interest."