Re: Is JavaScript bad?

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:59:04 -0400
 To:  "Ed Peddycoart" <epeddycoart(at)cg2.com>,
"HWG-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Iv'e been working on my website for a month or two now.  I have tried to
> keep it very standard.  That is, I haven't wanted to make the site where
> some one could view it, as I envision it, simply due to their choice of
> browser.  I now find that I want to spice it up a bit, maybe using some
> JavaScript.  Is this a bad thing to do?  I mean, is JavaScript considered
> bad practice when developing a web site that you want MOST people to be
able
> to view?  If I can keep my website viewable by all those people using IE 3
> and up, and Netscape 4 and up, I'll be pretty happy.  What say the
> masses...?
>
> If it is not consider poor development practices...I am looking for a
nifty
> navigation system...heirarchal menus, top menus, side menus etc.  Any
> recommendations on where I can see examples in action, get starting point
> scripts etc.?

Ed,

JavaScript is NOT bad. Like anything else we use it's a tool that can be
useful or a tool that is abused. It is the only universal language we can
program with on the client side.  I use it for many useful things like
button rollover effects, pop-up information windows and most particularly
for form verification.  As an example you typical shopping cart allows you
to put in a size and color for items like T-shirts, but how to you insist
the customer must choose a size and color.... JavaScript.

JavaScript can be poorly done.  The biggest example of this is when you
click on a link at AltaVista for a retail product and you find a dozen
windows spawning on your desktop of nudie websites.  Every time you close a
window, another one or more pops up.  Try explaining that to your spouse or
boss!

JS can also be poorly done when it is used in menus or links and no
alternative is provided for people that have a non JS browser or have JS
turned off.  Why bother driving viewers to your site of you're just gonna
chase them off?

Another prime example of JS being misused is effects that do nothing for the
website like the popular lake applet that shimmers a reflection in water
under an image - it's overdone and has nothing to do with the website unless
you sell water.  Another one of these that gets me is doofy cursors.  It's
MY desktop and if I wanted another cursor I would have selected a different
one.

JS and DHTML can make some cool menus. http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ has some
good ones.   Just be sure to provide non-JavaScript alternatives. Be sure it
is tastefully done and intelligently executed so people can find their way
around.  If the terms you use in the menus are confusing, its very
distracting and you will loose viewers no matter how cool the effect.

Simply put, JS is great when it adds to the site, when it subtracts from the
website it creates an eyesore or chases people away.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net