Re: Need a nav column that stays in middle-left of window

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:17:48 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Michael:

Although I, and many others on this list, are not fans of Frames, it kind of
sounds like--in this instance at least--frames may be the way to go.

After all, this is the very thing they were created for. To allow one panel
or "frame" to remain in a static position while everything else moved or
refreshes or whatever.

However, unless you have a program with a built in "Frames Wizard", frames
can be tricky. And like everything else, if you go back far enough, you will
find a browser so old it won't support frames.

One other downside is the questionable interaction of frames and search
engines. The jury is still debating that one. But then, search engines are
becoming less dependable as the web grows. When you have 6 zillion web sites
for every subject, staying on the first page of the search results is a
dream that is fading fast--just from the shear numbers.

The Matrix-Orbital site is using a very "heavy" script with several images.
It is pretty advanced stuff. And you may find more disadvantaged browsers
having trouble with that code than they would with frames.

On another note, I personally, would not be too concerned over NN-6 and what
it will--or more often--will not support. So far, it's been touted as a big
disappointment. It has "regressed" and does not support some features that
NN-4.7 did. Netscape has been steadily losing customer base for the last few
generations because so many find it lacking in support of the "goodies" that
are already on web pages. Their latest effort is less than stellar.

Granted, there are many who will wax loud and long about NN-6's adherence to
"standards" but I still predict that market-wise--it will be a bust.

Bottom Line??  Well--there are many web sites full of JavaScript's that do
menus in various ways. Most have demos and offer a lot of help to set them
up. But remember, you still have to create the images and add the links. It
is not for the faint of heart.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA