Re: Advertising

by "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:01:57 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Matthew Ohlman" <matthew(at)ohlman.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>   I would just like some input on some of the free advertising sites that
> you have had good experiences with. I would also appreciate some tips on
> how to get better listings with search engines.

 Are you sure you want to go this route?  You can expend a lot of effort
getting traffic for your site just to have them hop away on a banner.  We
looked at banners and they didn't appear to work well.

 Our policy is to NEVER put an external link on a commercial website that
distracts a potential customer.  Personal websites and non-profit websites
are of course different.

 If you build a wesbite with good content and expend the hour or so a week
required to register it on the search engines, it should do well.
searchenginewatch.com is a great place to start learning.  Give yourself
some time, it may take a week or two before you understand what's happening.

Paul Wilson
webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com