Re: Server Side Includes

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Sep 1999 02:10:13 -0700
 To:  "Sharon Elix" <saelix1970(at)netscape.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Sharon!

Server Side Includes is a function of the Web Server, not the Operating
System.

I'm running Apache, and "file=" doesn't work, at least the way I have my
system configured.  "virtual=" does.  According the the docs for apache, the
space between html" --> has to be eliminated.  The SSI stuff is extremely
fussy!  No spaces after the <!-- and no spaces before -->

One way of finding out what Web Server your ISP is running is to point your
browser to a directory that does NOT have an index.html.  Some web servers
return the name of the server, along with the version.

I've use the ./ numerous times, but remember that any path called from your
template will be assumed to be based on the current directory.  Fully
qualifying paths is usually the best bet.

paul