Re: chat service

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:33:30 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
David:

I just ran an Alta Vista search for "Chat Room service" and got dozens of
hits for commercial, free and JavaScript, private and public chat rooms. One
such example is:
http://www.chat-forum.com/

Be sure your client understands that the BIG problem is that there must
always be someone around -- in real time-- to chat with. We tried this on
our magazine, setting up a private chat room for people to talk about
Redding, CA. The problem was that in as much as no one ever visited the
magazine -- at least, not at that time -- therefore, no one was ever logged
into the chat room.

If we ever try it again, we will send our visitors to one of the big chat
rooms where they can log into dozens of different topics, already in
progress.

Depending on his volume, your client's clients may be better served with a
mailing list--similar to this one--where people can read and reply at their
leisure. We have such a list using www.listbot.com/ on our magazine site and
the list actually gets used quite a bit. The added bonus is that many
subscribe to the list from the ListBot site and then become readers of our
mag.

However--in any case--the service you subscribe to will provide you with the
code to put in your page. You just copy and paste it on you page where you
want the service to appear. Most are usually small forms or tables that
provide a link to the Chat Room.

I believe that Dreamweaver--like FrontPage--has an "Insert HTML" feature
that allows you to do this right in the WYSIWYG view.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net