Re: Awards and award attitude :(

by "The Web Center" <admin(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sun, 26 Sep 1999 06:36:32 -0400
 To:  "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paul...

This subject is something I consider important, but to tell you the truth, I
have yet to discover a cost-effective way to handle it.  I would be willing
to offer a free included service to new designs, if I could do so without
entirely disrupting my schedule, so it's not a matter of me being too
cheap...:).

To clarify:

The problem is that clients, while not totally unreasonable, want marketable
web sites.  We live in a society with strong visual orientation, and with a
solid foundation in visual entertainment...as I am sure you have discovered
in your own work. I can not (have not yet figured a way to) get the clients
to pay for several hours of extra work preparing and testing their new sites
for every possible type of browser that might hit it.  There just isn't any
way they are going to pay me an extra 10 hours to debug a site for this, not
to mention the fact that I may be suggesting the removal of all the "eye
candy" they want.

I did try providing a "text-only" alternative once, but was told by people
supposedly knowledgeable about such things that this was a poor substitute
for several hours of work making my site validate on a dozen different
browser types.  Now, I don't want to ignore the issue, and I don't want to
subscribe to the "take the money and run" philosophy, but I am somewhat
irritated at the conflict here.  I didn't supervise browser designs, and so
I am stuck with what is, just like everyone else.

Especially irritating is the fact that a text-only page, even if just a
synopsis of the site and perhaps leading to basic, HTML-only order or
contact forms, can be an economical solution.  The same template can be
reused, the copy needs to be manipulated for the primary site only, and with
only a few seconds extra work can be placed on this page.  Do you have an
opinion on this type of approach?

Personally, I would consider Accessibility a primary directive in design, if
I could use CSS.  Since I can't, until such time as the browsers allow it
(probably about the time HTML 5 hits!), then I am still looking for feasible
alternatives.

Darrell

The Web Center
Web Site Solutions