Re: Pretty Good ?

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:39:47 -0400
 To:  "HTML Writers' Guild" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Write the code by whatever means you choose. Post it somewhere (anywhere).
> Go to the W3 validator <http://validator.w3.org/> and submit the URL for
> the file you just posted a minute ago.

You don't even have to post it anymore.  The W3C's validator has been
upgraded recently and now has the ability to check your file right on your
computer!  I think this is way cool!

> I pray that in my next life I will come back as someone blessed with a
> -huge- intRAnet that I can "play" with. Yea, you know, I know *exactly*
who
> is looking, and which browser/OS I'm dealing with. Wow. Wouldn't life be
> grand? There probably wouldn't be a validated document in the works - and
> would enjoy every byte of it <grin>.

Reading this, I had a revelation that there is a flip side to all of this.
>From now on I'm going to redirect my energies away from grumbling (or at
least try) about the lack standards being practiced on the web and WYSIWYG
editors producing sloppy code, and instead, revel in it.  It is these very
problems that make us so valuable!  Just think about it for a second.  If
everything was ideal and perfect, then there would be no need for us
whatsoever.  Anybody could do what we do, and there would be no challenge.
I know that unless I'm challenged, I'm bored silly.  There is something very
satisfying and fulfilling about rising up to and meeting a challenge.
Humans thrive on this.  It motivates us and gives purpose to our lives.

Having said all that, I'm still going to promote the W3C's standards at
every chance I get, because I still believe in a civilized internet and
equal access for all.  Maybe someday this will reduce my value or even put
me out of a job.  I doubt it though since human curiosity and idealism keep
the technology dynamic while human greed always tries to undermine the good
that comes before it.  However, if that day does come, I will feel good that
I fought the good fight and was a part of making it happen.

As John Cougar Mellencamp said, "You gotta stand for something, or you're
gonna fall for anything."

Steve