Re: What is wrong with this??

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:21:09 -0000
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Pam Mather" <pammather(at)earthlink.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Pam

In your second FRAMESET tag, where you define the three lower frames,
you've got the following:

<FRAMESET COLS="135,394*,135" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="0" BORDER=0
rows="*">

1.  You should define EITHER cols or rows, not both, so I'd suggest
removing ROWS="*".

2.  I'm assuming you want to define the left and right frames as being 135
pixels wide, with the middle frame taking up whatever space is left on the
screen.  Not sure why you've got "394*" for that middle frame - I'd suggest
changing it to just "*".  The "*" indicates proportional sizing, but using
a number with it really only makes sense if you do that with more than one
frame.  For example, if you had COLS="1*,3*,2*" that would indicate you
want the middle frame to be 3 times as wide as the first frame, and the
third frame to be twice as wide as the first frame (ie you're dividing the
available space into sixths, with the first frame occupying 1/6, the middle
frame 3/6 or 1/2, and the third frame 2/6 or 1/3).  If you wanted to
include a number with the asterisk, it would more properly be "1*", since
you want that middle frame to take up ALL of the proportionally allocated
screen space.  Easier just to use the asterisk on its own. :-)

There's a good chance that if you make those two changes, the frames will
work properly in all frame enabled browsers.

You might then want to consider what provision to make for those who, for
various reasons, might be using browsers that aren't frame enabled (eg
adding a TITLE to each FRAME tag to indicate what can be found in that
frame, and/or adding NOFRAMES content).

Regards,
Donna
--