Re: Pop-up window<Javascript?>

by "Bert" <bdoorn(at)iprimus.com.au>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:32:28 +0800
 To:  "Thomas Rumley" <redo4you(at)yahoo.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> uh... please forgive me if I'm wrong, but onClick() is an event handler.
> That's javascript isn't it?

OnClick is an HTML attribute (or XHTML if you put it in all lower case).
It's not JavaScript.
See http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/scripts.html#adef-onclick  What
you do with that event handler is up to you.  It doesn't have to be driven
by JavaScript (though it usually is).   It can be any scripting language
supported by the browser - all depends on the scripting engine used.
VBScript and JScript come to mind...

If you're referring to the code I posted:

<.a href="thepageurl.html" target="_blank" onclick="return
Genie('thepageurl.html');">Click Here<./a>

WITHOUT JavaScript, it would work the same as this:

    <.a href="thepageurl.html" target="_blank">Click Here<./a>

WITH JavaScript, it works like the following::

    <.a href="JavaScript:Genie('thepageurl.html');">Click Here<./a>

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
CIW Associate, IWA Member