Re: using percentages on tables

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:01:12 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mary:

I suspect the problem lies with the fact that your table is a
percentage but your graphics have a fixed, "finite" size. It is
one of those "facts of life" that must be taken into account when
you set up your tables.

Let me ramble a bit with a sort of example ...

Let us say your viewer is using a 640x480 screen and like most,
has resized his browser down to about 500 pixels in width. To
make the math easy, we'll say the width of the actual web page is
about 400 pixels, allowing for the border, etc. of the browser.

You say your table width is 95% -- or 400 x 95% = 380 pixels.

Now--Assume that you insert two pictures side by side within that
table. Each picture is 150 pixels high and 200 pixels wide. This
gives a total of 400 pixels in width. But -- the table was only
380 pixels wide. The table is going to get "pushed" out an
additional 20 pixels. If there were cells within that table the
problem would be even worse.

Now assume the viewer has an 800x600 screen and with resized
browser, the web width is closer to 600 pixels. 95% of 600 is 570
pixels. In this case your 400 pixel set of graphics have plenty
of room and no distortion occurs.

If you went to my magazine, http://www.newsredding.com/ and
waited around the half hour or so while that poorly designed,
heavy with goodies, thingie page loads, you should see a large
graphic in the upper right with the title superimposed over
photos of local landmarks. If--like most of us--you are using an
800x600 screen you should see some light blue space on both sides
of the picture. That space is there to allow some squeezing room
for those with smaller screens as I too, am using a 95% table.

Is there enough extra space for even WebTV?? I doubt it but like
many other, (perhaps even most), web authors, we choose to give
WebTV a very low priority.

You just can NOT please them all.
Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hello All,
>I have looked in the archives but could not find my question
answered there.

>I am using tables for a site, and using a width of 95%.
>For each table within I have added the height, width etc for
gif's, etc.
>Now when I view the site it looks fine, but no matter what % I
change the
>inner tables to it doesn't seem to care?
>By adding the width/height attributes does it overlay the
original