Re: website portal

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:15:42 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Leisa:

Never having used that "service", please note that my remarks will be very
generic.

In the broadest of general terms you can do the following:

Save your site to your own hard drive. If you are not sure how to do this,
read on.

On your own hard drive, set up a folder with the same name as your website.
Note: This is for your convenience. The name could be anything you wish.

If your images on the site you have at present is in a separate images sub
directory, then set up a similar sub directory on your hard drive so that it
matches the directory structure of your web site. (This way you wont have to
re-code any links)

Once this is established, (at least on a Windows machine using IE), surf to
your web site using your browser. Then choose Source or View Source from the
View Menu.

NotePad will appear with the source code of the page. From the File menu,
choose SaveAs and save the page to the directory you created.

Now go back to the web site in your browser and one at a time, right-click
each image. Choose Save Image As from the pop up menu and save each of the
images into the image directory, (if created) or into the same directory.

Repeat this process with each of your pages until you have a copy of your
web site on your own hard drive. It should work just like on the web with
the exception of any features that requires you to be on a web server or on
the web itself to "receive" goodies from other sites. (like a news service
or chat room, etc.)  Also, any SSI files may not work unless you are running
a web server on your machine and the new web is installed correctly-- (but
this is a little beyond this short note.)

Now that you have the web stored on your hard drive, you can use FTP or
FrontPage or whatever to upload it to a new site.

For FTP, your new ISP will set up your User Name and Password which is
inserted into the wizard part of the FTP program. It in turn will connect
you to your new site. You then use the FTP program much like Windows
Explorer to create an images directory, (if used).

Once the structure is created on the new site to match that on your hard
drive, you upload the pages and images to their proper directories, usually
using drag and drop from one side of the FTP program to the other. Example:
In CuteFTP there are two screen areas. The one on the left is your hard
drive. The one on the right is the web. To change directories, each can be
double clicked just as you browse for directories and files in Explorer.

I know this is all too brief but don't hesitate to ask follow up questions
as needed. If I don't know the answer, there are plenty on this list who do.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/
www.newsredding.com/

> This may be a little off the subject but in using Angelfire/Lycos for my
> personal sites I have been having tons of problems of late in getting
access
> to them.  It has made it very frustrating in trying to work with them.
Both