More Spelin und such

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:40:08 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
IceWolf:

>I read recently, the conversation between two characters
>had turned to theology.
> One made a reference to an all-powerful Dog.

At the obvious risk of beating an overworked subject to death.--Aparently,
you are not a dog lover or you would know that the Dog of the House IS a God
!!

I agree about the "theres", "Theirs" and "They'res". And the "your" and
"you're" as well. But there are so many. We could have a whole list on
spelling. and the wrong words. Look how many use "presently" when they mean
"right now" Actually it means "in a little while". The correct phrase for
"right now" is "at present".  And--There IS a difference between
uninterested and disinterested.

One I always seem to have trouble with is bear and bare. Sure the first is
an animule and the second is naked--but which one holds up a weight or adds
"ing" and encloses a rod journal.

And dag gum it -- "contact" is NOT a verb.

On the other hand, "coulor" is correct in the United Kingdom and hood is
spelled "bonnet".

But the BIG THING here is the fact that this list is international. And
English in all it's many, many forms is NOT the native language of many of
our list members. Let us not become so picky we offend and scare people
away.

As an engineer, I always insisted that there is no such thing as suction.
Rather, it is atmispheric pressure rushing to fill a void or a low pressure
area. Nothing "sucks". Then I heard Rock "Music" and realized at once. I was
wrong.

The point?? Other than in religion, there are NO absolutes. Certainly not in
the many and varied forms of "English".

But shucks -- y'all have a good day--you hair ...

Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/
www.newsredding.com/

> > But you do bring up a point -that the love of language, and writing, and
> the
> > skills for putting words together as an act of creation and design have
> gone
> > the way of penny bubble gum.  It does start early, beginning with the
> voice
> > of our parents reading those bedtime stories us.
> >

> I'd say more that they are endangered species, though not yet extinct.
>
> > Wordsmithing, I fear, has become nothing more than something that fills
> the
> > blank space around the buying message.  Creating wealth has become an
end
> in
> > itself.  Writing is not as exciting as selling net stocks, certainly!
> >

> And in these days of computerized spell-checkers, one sees many hilarious
> mistakes in books as well as on the web. In one notable example I read
> recently, the conversation between two characters had turned to theology.
> One made a reference to an all-powerful Dog.
>
> I must have laughed for ten minutes when I read that.
>
> It is truly sad that many people cannot put together a coherent written
> sentence in their native tongue (in this case, English). I don't mean
typos;
> I refer to the improper use of "they're", "their", and "there" and "your"
> and "you're". There are many other examples, but these are my two pet
> peeves.
>
> What to do? What to do? Many, if not most, web-masters don't want to hear
> it. I've been told that I'm "picking nits", and that "everyone knows
what's
> meant, so who cares?"
>
> I'll quit ranting now. Perhaps we should form a Society for the
Preservation