Re: Repost how to increase res. of gif and jpeg (and BMP)

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:23:57 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tanya:

Nice pictures. I wish I had a real good answer for you but you
are asking the laws of physics to bend a little here.

You did not state what "use" you needed the high resolution
pictures for so all I can suggest is either a TIFF file or EPS
(EPS only if it will be printed or color separated on a
Postscript printer)

Other than re-scanning the photos, the only way to increase the
resolution is through interpolation. This is done in a "high end"
graphics program. Note that many so called less expensive
programs also do this. There is some debate however, as to how
WELL they do it.

Personally, I would be inclined to think that the method is so
fraught with problems that ANY program will have trouble doing
this.

Interpolation means that the program inserts extra pixels by
taking a poll of it's neighbors and averaging out the difference.
Sort of designing by committee as it were. The resulting extra
pixel may, or may not, be desirable. This is especially true
where there are "hard" lines. It does tend to fuzz them up a bit.

If you really can not get to the originals, then you have no
choice but to try. Note that sometimes you can play around a bit
with gamma and / or contrast to increase the "apparent"
sharpness.

You mentioned PhotoShop "Lite". It may well do this. The full
version certainly does. Also Picture Publisher, Canvas, and many
others.

If you find your software will not do this, any of us with
PhotoShop or Canvas would be happy to give it a try. (Although it
would make one heck of a large attachment. Grin)

Good luck and best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net