Re: ASCII files

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:22:12 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Narda:

Unless I'm missing something here, there are no problems connected with
"ASCII" files.

Basically, ASCII is simply a plain text file, much like that produced by
NotePad or a text only e-mail such as we use on this list.

Almost all database programs, (Excel, Access, etc.) or word processors,
(Word, WordPad, Word Perfect, etc.), can convert plain text at will.
Example: Many databases export and import from other databases by using a
space or comma delineated simple text file.

Most page layout programs and/or HTML editors accept plain text as well as
many other formats. Programs like Quark Express, PageMaker, MS Publisher,
FrontPage, DreamWeaver and Canvas, etc. etc. can import almost anything.

All these programs have built in conversion filters. ASCII or "plain text"
is usually thought of as .txt .   It could become a .doc file or nearly any
other program's format by simply saving it as such.

Example: If it were allowed on this list, I could convert this e-mail I am
composing in Outlook Express from the plain text you see, to either RTF
and/or HTML with the simple click of a mouse.

So again--unless I have misinterpreted your question--the answer is YES--no
problem.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA