Re: SSI questions

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:12:38 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Denise:

A Server Side Include file can be ALMOST anything. A text file, a picture or
even--as you have seen--an entire HTML document.

All you need is the following tag:

<!--#include virtual="pathway/filename.inc"-->

The ".inc" part can be just about any extension you want.

However, depending on the server--AND THE WAY IT HAS BEEN SET UP--you may
need to save a page containing SSI as either "pagename.shtml"  if on a UNIX
server or as "pagename.stm" if on a NT server.

Side Note: Hey English majors--In as much as UNIX starts with a vowel,
should the above line have read "...an UNIX server..." rather than "..a UNIX
server..."??

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/
www.newsredding.com/

> I'm responsible of updating a Web site that makes use of SSI. I've never
> used them before, but they seem like a great way to make updating easier.
> However, the code generated by it when you 'view source' is horrendous.
The