A small GIF vs JPEG skirmish [Was: Re: COPYING FROM A WEB SITE!]

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:55:22 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You are telling me that you are showing me a photograph in 256 colours
and expect me to believe that they "haven't suffered" compared to a
format which shows them in millions of colours?

There is *no way* that 256-GIF can beat the quality of 16-bit+ JPEG in
images like photographs etc.

GIF are proper for three uses only:
1. buttons etc.
   (small range of colour, GIF89a coding, ultra small filesize)
2. converted vector art
   (distinct colours, large bodies, better compression, small files)
3. animation
   (gif89a. which by the way might come under fire a few months down
   the line of the "animated JPEG" group becomes strong enough)

That is all I think... :)

[abhay]