Re: image puzzle

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 5 May 2000 10:11:43 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Moira:

Unfortunately, all the different images will have to load before most
rollover JavaScripts work.

An example of loading time can be seen at:
http://www.ramac-rc.org/floatfly.htm

This example is not a "clickable" rollover but it will give you some idea of
the loading time involved with multiple images. In this case, four.

Also note the small size and questionable quality used to try to keep the
effect near the bottom of the page hoping that by the time the visitor read
the text, the images would have loaded.)

For multiple image effects, some of the things to consider are:

The time to load is proportional to the AREA of the image. Thus a picture
twice as large will take four times as long to load. (1x1=1 -- 2x2=4 --
4x4=16, etc. etc.)

Except for those few using very large monitors set to high resolutions, most
screens are somewhere around 72 pixels per inch. Images with significantly
higher resolution than, say 72-100 ppi are simply increasing load times for
little--if any--gain.

JPEG compression is the web designer's best friend. Use as much as you can
stand when viewing the results at the highest monitor resolution you expect
your visitors will be using.

Generally--it is faster to load a new page containing the same
objects--which have already been downloaded--than to load several large
images on the same page. Thus, several similar pages--each with the
different attributes applied--and a simple text set of self explanatory
links would be the better choice for loading times. This is assuming you and
your client can live with the look and feel.

The added advantage to using simple links to several different pages is that
it is browser neutral and that is the Holy Grail for most of us--Load Fast
and View in All Browsers --

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA