Re: Totally OT, I have a serious question [was: Talk about GARISH!]

by "Kim Mitchell" <kim(at)who-knows.com>

 Date:  Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:50:31 -0500
 To:  "Lead" <lead(at)sunshineband.org>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Jeniffer,

I've been studying a book on visual perception called  _Information
Visualization : Perception for Design_
which is quite scholarly and examines available research on visual
perception from a physiological, psychological, and from a design and
engineering perspective and one of the points that the author makes is that
colors do have the effect of seeming to recede or advance simply based on
hue.  For most people, blues recede, and red tends to advance, although the
effect does not seem t be consistent for everybody.

I think on a site which is -so-bright- the effect is exacerbated, especially
for people who are especially sensitive to it.

So I'm just saying that I don't think you're crazy at all.. it's just anther
effect which most people don't notice,  but plays a role in most people's
perception even if they're not conscious of it..  and is something which a
professional designer should take into consideration..

All the best,
Kim
Kimberley Mitchell