Re: Resolutions and combinations

by "Bert" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:03:49 +0800
 To:  <jaitchis(at)hwy.com.au>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> > The display font size (which essentially changes the number of pixels
> > per inch on the screen)
> this is just small fonts/large fonts/custom, is it not ?

Font size doesn't change the pixels per inch on the screen - it only changes
the font size.  Pixels per inch is dictated by monitor size and screen
resolution.

Examples (will vary from one PC to the next):

    15 inch monitor, with 14 inch displayable area.
    At 800x600, the diagonal is 1000 pixels.
    1000 / 14 = 71.4 pixels per inch

    17 inch monitor, with 16 inch displayable area
    At 1024x768, the diagonal is 1280 pixels
    1280 / 16 = 80 pixels per inch

>  and the setting that controls the width of
> > window borders
> I have not seen this in my travels .. it does not appear to be under
> display settings/advanced, at least not in win 98

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and have run 95 and 98.  I can see things like
border size, scrollbar size, active border size, title bar and much more in
the "Appearance" settings of my display.  Use the dropdown box to see them
all.   I could set the borders to 50 pixels wide if I was that way inclined.
And the scrollbar to 100 wide!

Hmm.  Looks stupid though.   But some people may set it to other than the
standard, just because they can, or because at their resolution, the
standard may be too small to work with.  Or too large for that matter.

Regards
Bert