Re: table cell backgrounds

by "Bert" <bdoorn(at)iprimus.com.au>

 Date:  Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:53:06 +0800
 To:  "Jeniffer C. Johnson" <lead(at)offlead.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Jennifer

> I seem to recall that NN4 doesn't support table cell background images? Is
> that correct? I know there was something about NN and backgrounds in
tables.

Yes and no.  There is no background attribute for TD at all (in the W3C
recommendations).  Some browser manuifacturers added this, but it's not
valid HTML.  As soon as you use browser-specific extensions to HTML you
introduce a random element that can cause problems.

Netscape 4 does however appear to support background images in cslls if
added via CSS (though I am not sure from which minor version onwards).  4.61
is of course not even the newest version of that old browser.

> Viewing in 4.61, I _AM_ getting the background image in the top cell. None
> of the others, but it's there in the top all the way left to right. The
> left side nav cell, and the two shadow cells, are not getting their
> backgrounds.

I still have a copy of Netscape 4.7 (not the last version brought out
either, which I think was 4.78) and get the same problems you describe.  By
contrast, www.inspired-graphics.com where I put the cell backgrounds into
CSS, all backgrounds show up nicely (which surprised me - Netscape 4
understood CSS in this case!)

You might try the CSS and valid HTML approach.

HTH
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
CIW Associate, IWA Member