Re: &nbsp

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:01:33 -0400
 To:  "Sean Collier" <sean(at)chromata.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I have been using non-breaking spaces for a number of things (&nbsp;).
Until
> a friend pointed out that overuse of this character can lead to it
becoming
> the prominent key word on a page. The last thing I want is a web index to
> thing my page is about the &nbsp; character.
>
> For two reason, I now use an image that is a single pixel and transparent.
> First, because it downloads very quickly. Second, because I can add text
> the "Alt" attribute that search engines will read.

Interesting observation...  I have seen a few searches where &nbsp comes
up.

I have been using &.#160  rather than &.nbsp.  I started using it in the
early days of the web and haven't been able to break myself of the habit.
Since it would be much harder for a search engine to confuse &.#160  with a
word, I will continue to use it with a better idea why it is better than the
non breaking space.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net