Re: Netscape/Explorer Help!

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:52:32 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tina:

In using absolute positioning, you have stumbled over one of the most often
experienced problems with web design. The "current" state of the art.

The problem lies in the incompatibility of Netscape and your source code. Or
at least some of the elements of your style sheets.

There two ways to look at this. If a certain browser does not render your
page as you expect, it follows that either:

1. You are using code that is not valid or features you should not be
using--at least, not at this time.

2. The browser in use is obsolete or no longer a viable tool for surfing the
web.

I see that you have included the icons from W3C. If your page did
"validate", then it follows that some of the features you used are beyond
the capabilities of Netscape. Or--at the very least--beyond this VERSION of
Netscape.

So what to do??  Ahh--that is the big question. Whether tis nobler to speak
to the masses--ALL of the masses--no matter how many features you have to
eliminate to make your page readable by the lowest possible common
denominator ...

Or to pick a standard of development and let those who can not view your
site in a proper and meaningful manner, remain ignorant of your message of
world enlightenment ???

Those of us on this list, argue this point all the time in various ways and
there simply IS no solid answer.

In my case, I try to keep most of my work Netscape compatible but I do not
make a religion out of it. While I personally consider Netscape no longer
viable as a useful browser with which to surf the web, I have to put such
bigotry aside when doing professional work and degrade my client's site to
the point that it can be viewed by Netscape users. And--Obviously, there are
those that would find this paragraph the ramblings of a fool. [Big silly
grin]

Sorry--you must make your own choices here. I suspect  the wishes of your
instructor will be your deciding factor. Good luck in any case.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/
www.newsredding.com/

> Hi
> I'm  a senior at the College of New Jersey.   My HTML professor had
> suggested that I write you for some help.  I have recently designed my web
> page for this class using absolute positioning.  My page works and looks
as
> I want in Explorer, however my links do not work, nor does it look as I
> planned it in Netscape.  Neither one of us can figure out what is wrong.
If