Re: meaning of deprecated

by "Marc David Johnson" <mjohnson(at)marcdavidjohnson.com>

 Date:  Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:02:01 -0400
 To:  "'HWG-Basics'" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
From: "Katherine Pollara" <kpollara(at)home.com>

> I studied CSS last year in an HWG class and my feeling after fussing with
> Netscape lack of rendering of the code was that CSS was just a waste of
time
> for the present except for the most basic use. I believe now NN 6.0 is
> supposed to be a huge improvement but I haven't worked with it.  I still
> find it frustrating every time I try it.

I have been following this thread and holding my thoughts until now.

While CSS can be finicky in different browsers, proper CSS (with a few
exceptions in the box model) works flawlessly in all the newest browsers (IE
5/6, Netscape 6, Opera 5, Mozilla 0.9x). One reason for the formation of the
Browser Upgrade Initiative (www.webstandards.org) is to try to bring people
to the understanding that designers will have much more time to actually
create CONTENT when they don't have to spend all their time debugging
browser inconsistencies. Using a separate stylesheet and using the @import
command means that only the newest browsers (with the exception of IE 4.5
for the Mac which recognizes @import but does not support CSS well) will
load the stylesheet. Older browsers will see content without any style
information (which can look fine if the page is designed properly) while the
newer browsers will show the page with styles intact. My own pages do NOT do
this however as I modify the CSS (font colors, background colors, etc.) on
the fly with ASP as they are being served. I am finishing up a tutorial this
weekend on CSS and would be happy to let anyone who wants to contact me off
list know when it is posted for them to digest. If you just can't wait, and
you want a GREAT resource for CSS information, stop by Eric Costello's CSS
page (http://glish.com/css/) - he's put together some great CSS information.

Learn CSS, use CSS, and begin to produce CONTENT. :-)

Marc David Johnson
mjohnson(at)marcdavidjohnson.com
http://www.MarcDavidJohnson.com
A little bit of everything ... and a whole lot of nothing.
http://mdj.inc <--- New.net address (info - v)
(http://www.qksrv.net/click-714870-1933347)