Re: Mac HTML editors

by "Edward & Charla Springer" <egs(at)hiwaay.net>

 Date:  Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:22:40 -0500
 To:  "Lori Eldridge" <lorel(at)ior.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Michael Jon Muehlendorf" <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi All,

I think, that from previous postings, we are talking about using software to
create something proprietary. In other words, features that only , say,
Front Page will do, or Net Fusion. If that is the case, then you must have a
legal registered copy or you are violating copyright. Specifically, as I
recall the earlier postings, this was addressed in referrence to graphics.
GIF format is a proprietary format that you must have a registared graphics
program to create. The software is licensed to create the GIF format and
you, as a licensed user of the program can create GIF files using it. Hope
that I am correct in this, if not I am sure those who know will striaghten
me out.

As for the whole copyright issue. As professional web designers (which I am
not, but I do create copyrighted materials) you would like to have your
original work protected, especially if you make a living from it.

Now I'll set the woods on fire here and state that shareware is not
freeware. If you use it you should pay for it. This is the work of people
who are trying to make a living, just like the rest of us. In using
non-registered shareware you are not stiffing Bill Gates or someone like
that, you are stiffing some person working their butt off trying to compete
against the giants. PLAY FAIR! So much for editorializing, now back to HTML
basics.

Edward Springer
Athens, Alabama