Re: Form question

by "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:02:10 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Matthew Ohlman" <matthew(at)ohlman.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Hi all! What I would like to know is if there is a way (using HTML,
> JavaScript) to do the following in a form when the submit button is
pushed:

> 1.) Email the form input to me
> 2.) Rederict user to another page

Yes there is, but there are big problems doing it this way.

1. All versions of Netscape pop up a warning telling people that what they
are about to send is unsecure.

  -This idiocy is stupid.  All email is unsecure and almost
    all simple forms are unsecure, but we don't get pop-ups
    scaring people away.  I.E. doesn't do this.

2.  Another problem is that a JS form is sent using the clients email.  If
they haven't made the configurations in their browser to their email
program, the email will fail. Many people have no idea how to do this.

3.  If they have JS turned off it can't work.

There, you have three good reasons NOT to use JS for this.  I would highly
recommend using a Perl or PHP script to do this.  They are easier to set up
than you think.

If you still want a javascript, I will send you one off-list.  Just drop me
an email.

Paul WIlson
webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com