Re: (1)not able to create .html files and 2) disappearing graphics

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:16:54 -0400
 To:  "hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> >A(2) If you are using a graphic to be a background in a table cell,
> >Navigator won't render it because it is not valid HTML.  However,
Internet
> >Explorer allows it and AOL uses the IE browser.
>
> Steve, I've used graphic backgrounds in table cells and they render just
> fine in Netscape 4.6 and the preview V6.0 and even in Opera :))))  I also
> ran the page through Browserola and true, none of the Versions up to 4.0
> worked whilst IE from V3.0 worked just fine as you said.
>
> If you are going to use background layers on a page, I don't know how else
> you would go about it...but I'm certainly no expert and yes, I ran it
> through Homesite's validator too, and got no errors :)
>
> Did I miss the point somewhere ?

Kym,

No you didn't.  A short while after I had posted that message, I realized
that I had made a mistake and a few hours later (couldn't get back to the
computer sooner) I posted a partial retraction.  I'm assuming by now you've
seen it.  As far as an alternate method, I don't know of one either.... but
it is still incorrect HTML.  I'm suprised Opera renders it!  :-(  If you run
any of your pages that contain a background image in a table data cell
through W3C's validator, it will flag it.  And, in anticipation that you may
think the validator isn't working properly, you won't find it anywhere in
the HTML 4.01 spec.  Just to make sure we're on the same page <g>, we're
talking about something like <td background="image.gif"> right?

hope this clears up things,
Steven A.