Re: Kelly B. needs a little guidance

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 4 Feb 2001 16:36:23 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Kelly B.

I hate to sound negative here but it seems to me there is only "one" real
answer. Get rid of AOL. Easy to do and you'll even save money doing it.

AOL has never had but only one real thing going for it. It's easy to sign up
and get started. Other than that, they have never had much going for them at
all. And the "proprietary" (read incompatible), browsers, methods and
functions have always been a pain in the neck to everyone.

Most of the so-called services available with AOL are available free all
over the web. As an example--even on my small town news magazine--I offer
news, weather, search engines; I sell books, music and video; offer
discussion lists, and language translation; not to mention travel, and stock
info, etc. etc. And there are hundreds of sites far better than mine -- and
all for free.

The thing to do here, is cop-out and join the big boys and girls with a
local ISP using either cable, satellite, or phone connection--and most for
much less than AOL--then get yourself the latest copy of IE-5x with Outlook
Express and never look back.

Sure--there will be those, even on this list--that will offer different
choices--but recommending a local ISP and IE-5.5x/Outlook Express is like
recommending a chocolate milk shake. There may be those who like different
drinks but the choc shake is pretty universally accepted.

And--it's easy on the ulcers!!

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA