Re: alts

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:27:10 +0800
 To:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Gang

> The failure to use the alt tag is at your own peril.  While it is a very
> small part in the overall web scheme of things, it is placing a more and
> more important role as access to information diversifies among the
browsers
> and tools used to access the information.

This was, as far as I can tell, never the issue in the original post.  It
certainly was not an issue in my own post.   Just to clarify, here is part
of what I wrote:
----
"Netscape may have decided that, since their browser IS capable of
displaying images, there was no need to display the ALT text"
------
The key here is the word "DISPLAY".   I never advocated not USING the alt
tag.

Having said all that, I finally found somewhere in NN6.1 to turn images off.
It did show SOME alt tags, but not all.  Title does show however, just like
it does in IE5 (not sure about 4).  So perhaps we should start using that
attribute more?    IMG SRC="whatever.gif" ALT="Alt Text" Title="More Alt
Text" etc

Oh, I also found, as Tim pointed out, that ALT tags on image maps
don't display in NN6 either.  Rats!   Will try to use title there too.  More
work :-(

--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/