Re: px,pn,in,cm or ? Or WHAT?

by "Kim Mitchell" <kim(at)who-knows.com>

 Date:  Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:48:33 -0400
 To:  "Cook,
Shelby" <scook(at)equibase.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi guys..  I just want to put in a word of caution about using pixels to
size text.

For people (like me) who have their screens set at 1200x1600 resolution, 11
or 12 pixel text is very tiny and hard to read.  If you have the text size
specified in pixels, there's no way I can adjust my browser to make it
larger.  I'd have to reconfigure my whole monitor resolution, and I hate to
do that.

For people over 40 or so, we start to get quite farsighted.  Many of us like
to set the text size larger on our browsers so it's easy to read.  If you
have the text set by pixels, you take that option away from us.

So if your site's target audience is the under-35 set who don't like to set
their monitor resolutions high and don't have any other reason to want the
text nice and large, pixels may be your answer.  otherwise I'd think twice.

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear/

The article at the link above is an excellent and entertaining exploration
of this exact topic..

Best regards,
Kim
kim(at)who-knows.com