Re: domain name

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Wed, 2 May 2001 09:16:14 -0400
 To:  <shawn(at)sportsstuff.com>,
"html list" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> This may be a pretty dumb question but here ya go:
> How do I register a domain name without knowing the DNS
> server information?  I know what domain name I want but I
> haven't settled on who will host it yet so I don't know the
> DNS info.  Does that make sense?  Usually when I register
> domain names, they're for the company I work for and our
> host just takes care of it when I tell them what name I
> want.  This one, however, is for personal use.  Also, while
> I'm on the subject, does anybody reccommend a certain
> place to go through when registering the domain name?

The answer to all your questions is http://www.directnic.com which is fast
and affordable.  By default they will set you up with a free WebPages on
their site.  When you are ready to put the site online,  get the DNS info
from your host company and log into your directnic account and change the
DNS.

 If you want to temporarily house your site there for free they do add
banners, but you can just build the site so that all anyone sees is a
"coming soon" page until you are ready to make your move.  I have been using
them for quite some time and I am very pleased with them.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net