Re: web hosting

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Wed, 30 May 2001 09:58:17 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Does anybody know of another webhosting service
> that offers the same as www.shanje.com

Short version - you get what you pay for.  Caveat Emptor!

Long version - beware of things that appear too good to be true.  I hosted
in the past with companies that were very inexpensive and they often jump up
in price after a while.  Your then stuck with a pain in the butt move or pay
the higher fees.  It's a very common problem.

Another problem with inexpensive hosts is support.  They usually install
some type of control panel software.  Well, the panel doesn't seem to be
complete or do what you need done and it takes several emails and a week to
get a problem straightened out.  Then you place a call and find yourself on
hold terminally.  I call these "press 1 if this - press 2 if that" thingees
a customer avoidance system. Then there is the problem where the technician
you talk to doesn't speak English well.  Then of course there is the tech
that works 16 hours a day six days a week on salary and he has an
understandable attitude.  I think I could write a book about this.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net