Re: Meta Tags

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:45:09 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lauri:

You said:

" ....[snip]
>I had a couple of sites with the
> meta tag like yours(back then I still used Frontpage to create my pages).
[snip]... "

I don't think this can be "blamed" on FrontPage. In fact, the "Normal Page"
choice from FrontPage 98 renders the following code:

<head>
<title>New Page</title>
</head>

In order to insert something like:
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

You have to either type it in the HTML view by hand, or go to:
File> Page Properties and click on the Custom tab. Then insert the
http-equiv in the upper field. (Also, under the General tab you can change
the title from New Page to whatever you wish.)

I know that many tend to automatically assume that WYSIWYG editors ALWAYS
put some mysterious errant garbage into pages but in most cases, it just
isn't so.
UNLESS of course--someone asks FP or any other editor to do something that
should not be done. We must remember that whether we are sawing by hand or
using a power skill saw, we still have to cut on the line.

Meaning no disrespect as Fuzzy would say ... [stupid grin]

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/
www.newsredding.com/

> Susan,
>
> > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
>
> Do you want that your site is accessible with as many browsers/platforms
as
> possible? If this is the case then never use the charser "windows-1252"
nor any
> other charset containing the word 'windows'. I had a couple of sites with
the
> meta tag like yours(back then I still used Frontpage to create my pages).
> Everything was fine when viewing with IE and Netscape on Windows.
> Then one day I had the chance to view the site on RedHat Linux 6.02. All
of my
> "highly informative" text looked like the following:
????