Re: CGI w/Perl & MySQL

by "Manish Sharma" <msharma(at)satyam.net.in>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:15:36 +0530
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi DJ,

Since you are new to Perl, I would suggest learning PHP as its more suited
to the web than Perl. Now we all know that Perl is a full blown language
(and its very very good) but with the advent of PHP3 (and now PHP4), I have
found that PHP is a lot simpler to implement on web pages than Perl. Also
PHP integrates well with MySQL.
(Disclaimer: I am a seasoned Perl programmer but prefer PHP for the web)

You can refer to the MySQL tutorials on my site (a little promotions always
does some good :-) but also be sure to buy the following books...
MySQL - Paul duBois
PHP programming (Wrox)
Core PHP Programming - Atkinson

The book by Paul duBis should be regarded as a DEFINITIVE guide on MySQL. In
addition to the MySQL tutorials, it guides you on selecting the field types
for your database (and thus optimize your database); also, there are
separate sections on using C, Perl and PHP with MySQL.

Lastly, in keeping with the Open Source Revolution which has given us Linux,
Apache and MySQL, PHP is an OSS too.

Regards,
Manish Sharma
http://www.simplygraphix.com - Extreme Design