Re: ISP's

by "Bryan Bateman" <batemanb(at)home.com>

 Date:  Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:18:01 +0100
 To:  <JoshAlliTJ(at)cs.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
There are economical ways to share one connection between many computers.
The first thing you need to do is network the computers together.  You can
get a 4 port hub for about 60 dollars.  Plan to have one machine dedicated
to the connection. Windows 98 SE has something called Internet connection
sharing.  There are other ways as well.

Would not want more than 2 computers sharing a dial-up connection.  It is
REAL bad with more than that.  If the machine with the modem goes down then
everyone drops.

Best way to do it is with a single broadband connection and a dedicated
machine that is multihomed (two NICs) acting as a proxy/firewall.  You can
configure a Linux box for this.  One NIC plugs into the cable or DSL modem
the other goes to the hub where the computers connect.  Set up an IP subnet
and then configure the proxy/firewall to that subnet.  Volia, instant
internet.