Re: cgi script for changing error page

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:58:19 -0700
 To:  "Blue" <blue(at)bluesarthouse.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Depending on the Web server, (and I think this holds on most servers), the
custom error message is a function of the Web server.  Please note that I am
only replying with my limited knowledge of my own server -- Apache on Linux.

My server is configured (by default) to display a file called "missing.html"
if a file is not found.  I think this file only need exist in the home
directory.  This may not work unless the site is hosted as a domain, not a
"user directory".

As for the "chmod 755", you will need to access your site with Telnet or
some other program to log to the server with command line access.  As for
being on a MAC, it really doesn't matter what type of computer, as long as a
text editor (not word processor) is used to edit the scripts, and some
version (or port) of Telnet is available, and of course, a program to move
the files to the server (ftp).  If I remember correctly, Telnet and FTP are
installed with most TCP/IP programs for the MAC.

paul