Re: Designing for WebTV

by "Ray T. Mahorney" <coffee_head(at)coastalnet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 11 May 2001 03:39:15 -0400
 To:  "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
As a member of the below referenced user group:  I can tell you with some certainty that the number
of net users with special needs is trending slowly and steadily upwards.  The reasons for this are a
couple of low cost consumer products such as IBM's Home Page Reader and Connect Out Loud from
Freedom Scientific.  The HPR only works within the context of a browser while Connect Out Loud
allows the blind user both access to the web and a popular email client such as OE or Eudora.  I
grant that this group won't make up a large proportion of net users but I would encourage site
designers to keep this group in mind when designing sites which will be accessed by wide cross
sections of users.  Don't read that last as saying go out of your way to accommodate this group but:
Do offer the user a way to skip all the graphics on a page and get to the text content  And speaking
of text:  One of the biggest frustrations I and others have run into are links on a page which
simply say "click here"  Not very informative particularly if click here is associated with a
graphic which is not clearly identified with an appropriate text label.  Just my thoughts for what
they're worth.
Ray T. Mahorney
WA4WGA