Re: XML - If there was any doubt . . .

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:40:21 -0400
 To:  "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>,
"HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> This will only happen for those who decide for some reason, that they
> actually need or want to use this technology. So far--other than a few
> writers and columnists, it would seem that the main reaction to XML has
been
> a large yawn.

I agree 100% with everything you said Ted.  I always watch emerging
technologies and use what I can - but so far XML has been more a B2B thing
than anything else.  The original XML proposal is five years old.  It was
formally adopted three years ago and today there are very few true XML
websites.

You have to ask why is this so?  The DTD thing didn't do anything to sell
XML.  Most people looked at it and thought "why develop a DTD when HTML is a
predefined language ready to run now?"

So when all this XML hype seems to fall on deaf ears the W3C develops XHTML
to try and fan some interest in XML.  When that fails they bring out the
schema concept to replace the failed DTD concept.  "Gee, lets change the
name, maybe they won't notice."

I think XML has a place.  A good example would be a large automobile company
that builds its own schema for auto and part inventory and uses it with it's
suppliers and dealers... that would work because you have the big company
saying "here is how it's going to be."  They already do that.

In many other B2B markets there are too many manufacturers, suppliers and
retailers that are operating in a cut throat market where there is no one
dominant leader.  Are B2B schema's going to get developed for restaurants or
furniture dealers?  Seriously doubt it.

Other problems with XML that are not mentioned often is that most XML
websites  will use database driven web pages and they will confuse the
search engines.  Using your own schema and xsl will probably make it worse.
How is a search engine supposed to get information?   How is it to know what
is data and what is schema?  XML will probably create a black hole for our
clients web pages.  Suppose you created a website and nobody came?

The next thing that bothers me is that if you make  all these websites
database driven, who needs us?  Lets face it, it is NOT in our interest to
promote XML because we will be creating a website where a $5.00 an hour
employee can come in behind us and add text to the database or scan the
occasional image.  Once the basic layout is done they won't need us anymore.

There have been many attempts at this concept already with host companies
advertising instant websites and software companies telling people their
editors will do all the real work - all you have to do is use their
templates.  So far this hasn't worked well.

No, I see many problems and few solutions on the horizon and little that
compels me to want to use XML.  I think XHTML may replace HTML, but it's
basically the same language.   XML just say no!

.NET and Hailstorm scares me because of security issues and what it will do
to us in future.  I mean M.S. websites and software are the most hacked on
the planet and we are all going to trust our personal info and websites to
evil Bill?  We have covered the fact that he wants to sabotage our websites
and steal our clients by using our own text to create hot links to other
websites.

If I were a MS developer right now, I would be looking elsewhere for a
career.  Dunno how many of you know that Active Server Pages and VB Basic
have both been completely rewritten lately.  Why bother to learn a M$
language if they are just going to toss it out next year?

Don't even get me started on the XP (for Xpensive and Pathetic M$ software)
initiatives where they really get greedy.  Much more of this and I will
switch to Mac's!

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net