Re: Designing for WebTV

by "Ray T. Mahorney" <coffee_head(at)coastalnet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 11 May 2001 03:43:33 -0400
 To:  "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Kym Jones" <kjones(at)adam.com.au>
From: "Kym Jones" <kjones(at)adam.com.au>
To: "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>; <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: Designing for WebTV

<snip>

>I could beat my chest about certain things too... but I choose not to,
>because I don't expect the entire world to accommodate me. I don't whine
>about inconveniences --I just deal with them. I participate in the things I
>am able to. Everyone has their special cross to bear --their lessons to
>learn. The Internet is enjoyed by a primarily *viewing* audience. True?
>It's good to design sites for special users in mind --that's pleasing a
>*target audience,* but to infer that all sites should be accessible to a
>favorite minority is unreasonable and even selfish, in my opinion. Why add
>to others' burdens?
>
>Lauren
></snip>

I have no idea of actual numbers but I know that there are many blind folks
who "surf the net"...gawd! I hate that term LOL...

At one point there was someone on one of the HWG lists who posted a bunch
of very helpful information about designing for blind folks since they
either were or were associated with a blind person.

Not taking into account the folks that you refer to as "favorite
minorities" and doing the best you can to accommodate those folks, could at
some time find you telling your story to the powers that be regarding
Americans with Disabilities.

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what they might say to you
when you tell them that you think doing your best to cater to their needs
and expectations is "unreasonable" and "selfish" of them to expect it.

I don't have time to chase down the links on the legal aspects of this
right now, but they are out there and I know that someone will post them.

You really should read them...I don't think they care about anyone's
"target audience".

Kym

Free Graphics for Personal Websites
http://www.conceptualeyez.com