Re: chat service

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:08:24 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You can accomplish putting chat by a number of means. I'll list two
and I'm sure the rest of the void will be jampacked with other
HWGians' suggestions. :)

One of the easiest ways is to go to a site like Toolzone [1] that
provide you Chat rooms that you can incorporate in your site. Just
sign up with them and they'll guide you from Step A to Z. No problems
whatsoever.

The second way, and the one that I like, is to use a JAVA based
"web->irc" gateway. I trust in JIRC [2] for this. This JAVA
applet/proggy basically lets you connect to any IRC server. The
standard IRC rules apply thereon (join any channel, channel will be
created if not present, etc.) The best thing I like about this is that
anybody who's using an IRC app can interact with your web-based users.

Of course, you can always get yourself a Chatroom Applet and run it
locally on your server. But I don't recommend this cuz if the traffic
grows, then it tends to put a wee load on your server (since the
message distribution is done from serverside).

[1] http://www.toolzone.com
[2] http://www.jpilot.com

HTH.

[abhay]