Fw: Accessibility validation

by "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa(at)xs4all.nl>

 Date:  Sat, 25 May 2002 19:22:03 +0200
 To:  <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hallo Hilma,

OO a Dutchman with 5 languages.. that will be past time since only English is
obliged in schools... In my time we had to learn 4 languages (French, German,
English and Dutch) I have papers as mail varying from the Washington Post till
Le Monde Diplomatique. But only meant to keep my translationabilities at some
level higher as zero.

As I studied German some time, I build a fanwebsite in German for a band,
already existing 30 years, in Cologne. You can look for it
http://www.hoehnermusikfan.net/ I have not finished that site but it meets all
the WCAG 1.0 accessibilityguidelines and validates as XHTML 1.1.

I think you should offer all your visitors the same information.. remembering
mails on the W3C-WAI-list that also discussed this item... and how disabled
people reacted on it.

Most items in the Dutch site are also to be find in the WAI-part of the
W3C-site.
In Germany is now  (since the first of May) also an accessibilitylaw for
governmentsites. Required is conformance level AA of the WAI-guidelines.
Also the European Parlement will decide in future about accessible sites.. but
after that it will take time for it is implemented by all membercountries.

 The Lynxviewer  can be downloaded on
http://www.trill-home.com/lynx/general.html

Cheers
Ineke