Re: Not HTML

by "Debra Sawyers" <dsawyers(at)ptd.net>

 Date:  Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:11:18 -0500
 To:  "hwg basic" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
My company (and usually me specifically) register and modify domains
frequently.  In many cases our client provides us with his billing
information (credit card numbers/expiration date, etc).  We register him as
the owner and billing contact.

The hosting company should always be the technical contact.

My company is listed as the administrative contact on 75% or more of the
sites we work on.  Since we act as domain hosting resellers, this gives us
the "priviledge" of acting as an intermediate when working with hosting
issues.  We often request changes or modifications in hosting, password
protection at server level, and other issues which require us to work with
the hosting service.  Realistically, a host should not accept any requests
from anyone not listed as an official contact for the site in question.

If you intend to act as the webmaster, you should list yourself as the
administrative contact, your friend as the owner/billing contact, and your
hosting service as the technical contact.  Your hosting company will provide
the DNS server names and addresses you'll need for the forms.

In many cases the host will register the domain for no extra change.  If you
decide to let them handle it, make sure they have all the information they
need for the contact information (faxed if possible with a confirmation
report) to avoid mistakes.

Deb