Re: Seen this lately?

by Gregor Pirnaver <gregor.pirnaver(at)email.si>

 Date:  Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:44:59 +0100
 To:  "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>
 Cc:  HWGBASICS <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Even coming from a guy who is regularly chastised for
> putting a full chapter of a novel on one "page" -- this
> example is one hell-of-a long page. What about the poor
> slob who wants to print it out to read with the morning
> coffee?

Yes, browsers should be improved. (side note: isn't there a=20
tool called Harvest (?) for IE)

> And
> even for reading, there is a lot of different subjects,
> all stuffed into the same page. By every standard I've
> ever seen--either print media or on-line--this is a
> no-no.

I agree.

> But perhaps the most glaring boo boo here is the line
> length. By even the most extremely lenient standards, the
> line length is too long by half.

Exactly how long is it? :)

> But even then, what would be so wrong with a simple
> <.BLOCKQUOTE>??

Because it is not a quote?

> I blather on like this because I got the impression that
> this page was pointed out to the beginners on this Basics
> list as a GOOD example--while I on the other
> hand--consider it a BAD example of the current state of
> the art. Even worse--it looks amateurish.

Yes. If you want to design a page it is BAD example. If you=20
want to structure text data it is not so bad example.

> And sad to say--this sort of thing is just one of the
> reasons "some" persons have the audacity to ignore the
> wonderful work they have done and the good t hey still
> do, and wonder out loud whether W3 is still "relevant".

Wouldn't it be funny if they ignored their own=20
recommendations? :)

Have a nice day!
--=20
Gregor @ Mandrake 7.2 -> KDE 2.0 -> Kmail 1.1.99 -> ;-)