Re: Problem using graphic background with tables

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:49:42 +0800
 To:  "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>
 Cc:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> Just out of curiosity, just WHAT software makes the following on a page??
> > I see "MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" (obviously a Microsoft product) in the
> > code...
> In fact, I have tried everything on my machine and I have a LOT of MS
> products. Nothing--that I have at least--capable of saving as an HTML
page,
> shows this strange notation.

The answer is very simple: MSIE5.5.   When you save a complete web page
(using the File:Save As menu item) it adds the following:

<.!-- saved from url=(0040)http://  ........whatever..........  -->
<.META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252".>
<.META content="MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" name=GENERATOR.>

Guess what....  5.50.4807.2300 happens to be a recent version of MSIE.

Well, that's what it does for me.  I have come across this with files sent
by clients too.  Why would they have saved it this way?   Who knows....   I
know of one case where a client had developed a draft website on their LAN,
knew how to access it via the IP number but could not get the source direct
off their server.  So they accessed it with the IP Address and saved the
whole thing from MSIE.

Armed with this knowledge, if any of you ever need to "copy" a website, use
FTP whenever possible.  Or (as long as the pages aren't ASP, SHTML, or other
server generated types), view the source and save that.

HTH
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/