Re: Could do with some help!

by "Steve Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:38:30 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello everyone,
New to the list, but a lurker no more....

FrontPage Express 2.0 can be downloaded from Microsoft's Windows Update
website at:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Once there, click on "Product Updates". It will then want to install a
program on your computer to allow it to 'catalog' want you have and
recommend the proper updates. If you allow the install, it will happen
automatically and may take a few minutes after-which you will see the update
list for your computer divided into categories. FrontPage Express will be
down the page under "Internet Authoring".

Product Review (sort of):
I had downloaded it recently to check it out . One of the first things I did
with it was open one of my pages in it, and it promptly displayed it
inaccurately from how it is seen in IE5 or NN4.6. I was amazingly
disappointed. I know it's free, but it's supposed to be a watered down
version of the real deal (FrontPage), which is touted as WYSIWYG. The fact
that my page renders differently in a MS tool vs. a MS browser is pretty
pathetic on Microsoft's part in my opinion. It's certainly NOT going to make
my run right out and want to buy the full blown version, which is what a
freebie's ultimate goal is supposed to be! I promptly uninstalled it from my
computer.

By the way, here's a pretty nice text based editor that is free:
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

It's not tailored for HTML authoring but it doesn't mess with your file
extension or any of the white space in your file. It also has a find and
replace feature and you can turn on and off line numbering in the left
margin which makes it nice for troubleshooting your code when you run it
through a validator such as the ones that reside on W3C.

Steve
santonio(at)delanet.com