Re: frames compatibility

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:23:21 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Lori Eldridge" <lorield(at)uswest.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Could someone please tell me which of the older browsers don't
> support frames? I'm trying to talk a client out of using them and I
> need some stats.

Too many to mention, many early browsers were incapable.  The real problem
is with search engine spidering of the website.

Besides making the website a lot more confusing to manage and raising his
costs, he needs to know that some search engines cannot and will not index
or spider this websight.  See http://www.laisha.com/excite.html  for
background.   Excite & Lycos will not index frames.  Infoseek has trouble
with frames.  There are probably more.

When we first built our main website, we used frames and had a dickens of a
time getting it registered.  I found mention of the frames problem and
converted the website to non-frame and we started showing up almost
immediatly.  Our personal experience shows this is not a myth, we proved it.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net